Do you have a solid marketing plan in place for next year? Are you clear on your advertising goals and strategies?
With the year coming to a wrap, it’s a perfect time to dial it in. Your marketing and advertising plan should include a variety of channels; however this post will focus specifically on print marketing.
It’s time to get specific with your print goals:
- What is your goal? If you want to be known as the best residential lawn care company in your local area, use a high quality postcard with bold colors and elegant messaging.
- If you are hoping to sell more widgets this week, create a postcard that announces a unique promotion.
- It is essential to review and solidify your goals before you leap into the creative and execution phases of print mailing.
As beneficial as postcards are, one disadvantage is the limited space. Consider the purpose of your message. Are you introducing a new company to the community? Are you providing information such as an appointment notice, or new location? Postcards are most effective when you announce a single topic. If you are going to announce more than one item, consider using a flyer or a brochure instead. And remember to keep your message simple.
After you decide on your goal(s), determine the number of mailings you will do.
Research consistently shows that businesses should plan to do 4-6 mailers, before they will reap the benefits.
- Create a calendar to help you identify holidays and special events.
- Get creative with promotional sale ideas (i.e., 10% of sales go to charity, buy one and your child gets 50% off, etc.).
- Brainstorm ideas on what your postcard or flyer will look like (use eye-catching images, simple messaging, and no more than three colors).
- Write down a list of ideas for calls to action.
Here’s a list of action words that you may want to incorporate into your call to action:
Decide how you will make your postcard stand out. If you’re not sure, try over-sized postcards; offer a giveaway, or create a postcard coupon. Another option is to use a customer testimonial:
A leading global communications firm (J. Walter Thompson Agency) says that text body that features a compliment will yield 2 times more positive thoughts about your firm or product.
The most important thing is to get started with print marketing.
You’ll have an edge on the competition, you will learn something new, you may see an increase in traffic, and you will ease into the New Year with a clear plan of action.